All submissions of the EM system will be redirected to Online Manuscript Submission System. Authors are requested to submit articles directly to Online Manuscript Submission System of respective journal.
Journal of Phlebology and Lymphology

Sign up for email alert when new content gets added: Sign up

Endovascular Laser in the Treatment of surface venous insufficiency of Lower Limbs

Author(s): Jorge Enrique Soracco, Jorge Lopez D’Ámbola, José Luis Ciucci, Cleusa Ema Quilici Belczak

The aim of this current study was to evaluate the efficiency in terms of vein occlusion of endovascular therapy in the treatment of insufficiency of the saphenous vein and its branches using high‐power, 810‐nm wavelength laser diodes. From June 1st 1999 to December 30th 2002, 136 women and 79 men with ages ranging from 25 to 79 years old were consulted and a total of 365 lower limbs were treated. A high‐power 810‐nm wavelength diode laser was employed using a semi‐rigid fiber optic quarz system of 400 and 600 microns. For statistical analysis percentages were used. In the three‐month control examinations, six cases (1.64%) presented with a flow in the saphenous vein with re‐interventions necessary in three cases; in the other three cases a progressive evolution to fibrosis of the vein was observed. In the other 359 cases (98.35%) fibrosis of the veins were evidenced. In conclusion, endovascular treatment by laser is satisfactory in the approach of the superficial varicose veins of the lower limbs.


PDF